Emily is a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW), certified yoga instructor, and Trauma Center Trauma Sensitive Yoga Facilitator (TCTSY-F) working in private practice in Arlington, MA. Emily is a trauma therapist who specializes in work with adult trauma survivors, as well as anxiety, depression, general stress management, and has a special interest in perinatal mental health.
Along with working in private practice, Emily is a Supervisor in the Trauma Center Trauma Sensitive Yoga (TCTSY) Certification Program; a Yoga Teacher for the women’s TCTSY yoga classes at the Trauma Center in Brookline, MA; and an Agency Trainer, offering a 2-day intensive program for providers and staff interested in integrating TCTSY into clinical settings and larger systems (i.e. hospitals, mental health agencies, justice systems or shelters), as well as other training/workshop offerings.
Emily received her Bachelors degree in Psychology at Providence College in 2003 and Masters degree in Social Work at New York University in 2006, working in day-treatment, inpatient, outpatient, and school-based mental health settings in both New York City and Boston for the past 14 years. Through personal experiences and challenges in her own life, Emily grew to see the connections between our thoughts and feelings, and the physical reactions and responses in our bodies. Emily believes in this work, not only because of the theory and research behind it, but most importantly because of its personal relevance in her life.
As a new mother, she feels and understands these connections more than ever before, and particularly enjoys offering support to women during the perinatal time. Emily is currently working on projects to bring more awareness and research to the field of perinatal mental health, including but not limited to, postpartum depression and anxiety, and perinatal trauma (stay tuned!).
With instinctive attunement and empathy skills, Emily is able to provide a sense of authenticity and sincerity that her clients can feel in their work together. Emily considers it a privilege to be trusted by her clients in helping individuals find their own strength and inner wisdom, offering compassionate support and guidance through their healing process.
Education and Certifications:
BA in Psychology – Providence College, RI, 2003
Masters in Social Work – New York University, NY, 2006
300-hour Certification in Trauma Center Trauma Sensitive Yoga (TCTSY) – the Trauma Center, Brookline MA, 2016
200-hour Yoga Teacher Training – Inner Strength Yoga, Watertown MA, 2011
Certified Prenatal Yoga Instructor – Om Births, Watertown, MA, 2018
Certified Children’s Yoga Instructor – Karma Kids Yoga, NYC, 2009
Gerson Lehrman Group (GLG), Inc. Council Member/Consultant
Training and Continuing Education:
- 28th Annual International Trauma Conference – Psychological Trauma: Neuroscience, Identity, and The Transformation of the Self. Boston, MA, 2017
- Meditation and Psychotherapy: Enhancing Emotional Growth. Harvard Medical School & Cambridge Health Alliance, Boston, MA, 2017
- Trauma Center Trauma Sensitive Yoga (TCTSY) 300-hour Certification Program. The Trauma Center, Brookline MA, 2016
- 26th Annual International Trauma Conference – Psychological Trauma: Neuroscience, Attachment, and Therapeutic Interventions. Boston, MA, 2015
- Meditation and Psychotherapy: The Power of Mindfulness. Harvard Medical School & Cambridge Health Alliance, Boston, MA, 2015
- Neuroscience for Clinicians – Brain Change for Stress, Anxiety, Trauma, Moods & Substance Abuse. PESI, Dedham, MA, 2015
- Trauma-Sensitive Yoga: A Workshop for Yoga Teachers. The Trauma Center, Brookline, MA, 2013
- Mindfulness, Meditation & Trauma. New England Society for the Treatment of Trauma & Dissociation, Lexington MA, 2013
- Trauma Informed Care. Boston College School of Social Work Continuing Education, Boston, MA, 2012
- Yoga and the Traumatized Body. The Trauma Center, Brookline MA, 2011
- Working with Attachment & Dissociation. St. Vincent’s Hospital, NYC, 2009
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (1 year CBT Training & Consultation Program). New York State Office of Mental Health, NYC, 2008-2009; Additional CBT Training, NYU 2007 & Boston College 2011